01 July 2014

New Orleans - Greenwood Cemetery...



Greenwood Cemetery was created in 1852 and was the first cemetery in New Orleans to be free from surrounding walls.  It was built by the Firemen’s Charitable and Benevolent Association which, unfortunately, was kept busy with burials thanks in part to the serious amount of danger that early firefighters encountered in cities...

The plots here differ from St. Louis #1 and Metairie in a myriad of ways.  They are a lot smaller and much more organized.  Religious and other iconography are not abundantly found in engravings.  Instead of that you'll find a plethora of religious figurines that mirror each other.  Wait til you see the last picture in this series!  There is a uniformity here that makes the unusual (like the Bacchus pendant and Buddist tomb), and even the several seen, become even more prominent and striking.  I stopped counting the Virgin Mary statues after I reached 50 on one block but when I began to look closer that them I became intrigued with them...the same but so very different. See for yourself...



















With the screeching wheels of the graffiti laden train rolling by, I shot photos for several hours in the slightly muggy heat and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.  Except if I'd been able to find and photograph John Kennedy Toole's grave...now that would've been something!

Oh, and how many Mary's can you count in the last picture?

4 comments:

  1. These shots are my favourites from the recent cemetery ones. I like the bright statues between all the somber marble and stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks m'dear! I used a flash on some of them since it got a bit dark in spots but I didn't manipulate the photos in any way other than that. Some of these statues are repainted by family on a weekly basis. Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah damn... Did you find the book store where A Confederacy of Dunces was launched? We made friends with the guy because we went in every day :) He had the table where his mother did the launch/signing. He was full of interesting NOLA gossip and stories! I can let you know if you get back there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooooooooo! I didn't and I would've loved to have talked to such an interesting NO local. We're going back soon so I'd love to know more...

      Delete

I'm always delighted to hear from folks! Every comment is much appreciated...